Sunday, February 13, 2011

Roanoke ads from a 1921 musical program

I found an interesting item on a hunt in Roanoke, VA this weekend and thought I would share some ads from it as I don't cover Roanoke, VA; however, feel the need to share these. The program is from a musical produced by the Kazim Temple of the Shriners organization called "The House Boat On The Sticks" which was preformed at the Academy of Music on February 17, 18, and 19, 1921. While this thing is just chocked full of ads I personally am only interested in the ones that pertain to bottling or have connections to bottling. I guess you could say that this blog is going to replace the Semi-Local section of my website. This section is where I would post pictures of bottles, ads, and give what little information I had dug up about bottlers in other areas outside my area. Roanoke is one of those.
This was the reason I picked up this item in the first place, a great 3-C Nectar ad.
My second favorite would have to be this Chero-Cola ad. I didn't even realize that Roanoke, VA had a Chero-Cola bottler until seeing this ad.
I love this one as well as it features a drawing of the November 6, 1915 hobble skirt bottle, which was the first of the now iconic "hobble skirt" Coca-Cola bottles. Another interesting thing is the notation beside the price of "No War Tax" I'm assuming they are referring to the first world war which had ended a few years prior to this ad.
Though I'm not a huge milk bottle fan I have picked up several milk bottles during the time period of my collecting bottles, and Clover Creamery bottles are fairly prominent in that collection. I have several different ones including two different cottage cheese jars. I will post these at some point now that I have a location to post items that aren't covered by the website itself.
That's right a car company, but not just any car company. This car company was started by a former bottler out of Bristol, VA who left that town in the 1890's for Roanoke, VA where he eventually started up this dealership, his name was J. W. Waynick.
Eventually I will have moved all the semi-local bottles from my site to this blog. I like picking up interesting bottles from other areas that border my main collecting area, and this is looking like the best place for items such as this. I hope you enjoyed seeing a moment in Roanoke Bottling history from 1921.

No comments:

Post a Comment